Friday, June 22, 2012

The Beginning of the End......

I started my cycling journey in 2010 by riding coast to coast across the southern United States; I can't explain why I wanted to do it, but it was a growing experience and one I vowed never to do again.  By early 2011, however,  I had the itch to go again, this time riding from North Dakota to Maine.  It was a glorious trip, with plenty of greenery, hills and......lobster!  MMM-MMM!

Upon completion of that ride in June, I arrived home in Texas, only to be greeted with triple digit heat; there was little greenery left here. As wild fires raged in central Texas, Dallas had stringent watering bans, leaving the area's vegetation bleached and dry.



It was during this time of sweltering temperatures that I hatched the idea to ride in all 50 states.  I already had 24 done, and the remaining 26 states were separated into two relatively contingent areas--the Pacific Northwest and the MidAtlantic/East Coast regions.  Going north was pretty much a no-brainer, so I set off to explore the cool dampness of Oregon and the states beyond, as the temperatures in Dallas continued to hover around 105 degrees. Those states were glorious in their coolness and beauty, and upon their completion, I had 16 states left in which to pedal.

As the temperatures again climb here in Texas, I leave tomorrow to finish the conquest that began in 2010.  I will not be greeted by the temperate weather of the Pacific Northwest, but by the warm, cloying humidity of the MidAtlantic states and the Eastern seaboard.

As I begin this last phase of my journey, I find myself in the best physical, mental and emotional condition in which I have ever been.  This two year journey has been more than just pounding out the miles; it has been a trip of discovery ....discovery of what a truly amazing and wondrous this country is, of the generosity and kindness of the people who live here and a discovery of what is possible when the word 'can't' is erased from one's vocabulary.  Yes, 100% is possible 100% of the time; one only has to decide it is to be.

Those of you that have followed my blog from its inception have been witness to the growth that has taken place in me.  You've read of my tears, fears and triumphs, of the many times I got lost and of the adventures I have experienced along the way.  I invite you to follow me again in this final sequel as I take this solo trip eastward.

First stop..... Tennessee.

3 comments:

  1. Way to go Sue. Always enjoy following your adventures, even though it is hard to keep up sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog through the WomanTours alumni page. Good luck and have fun. I look forward to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sue, I too found your blog on the WT alumni page and will enjoy following you along on your journey. Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete