Monday, January 17, 2011

"What would you do if you knew you could not fail?"

Every year I try and do something that will push me out of my comfort zone and challenge me. For too many years I let my fear rule me--you know, fear of failure, fear of being laughed at, fear of not being good enough....you get the picture. 

This year I have decided that I am going to run a marathon...well, a half marathon, to be exact.  I thought running 26.2 miles was a little bit too much out of my comfort zone--especially since the only place I tend to run is to the bathroom and I only have until May to train--so I have settled on 13.1 miles and will be running the Oklahoma City Memorial marathon May 1. Let me make it perfectly clear....I HATE RUNNING.  I don't know why--perhaps because it is such hard work, (unlike a bike, when the legs stop moving, so do you), perhaps because I am so slow, perhaps because I think I look like Sasquash when I run...who knows.  I just know it is something I have avoided like the plague.  So this is the year that I push past all that and just do it.

Since you were on my journey across the United States, I am inviting you along on this one to cheer me on, to laugh with me, to commiserate with me and to kick me in the behind when needed. And maybe a long the way, you will become inspired, too.  .....what would you do if you knew that you could not fail? 

BTW--I am also running this marathon to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  Last year's ride was to raise awareness, this year I am actually raising funds.  In the ten past years, I have raised almost $25,000, and this is a shameless plug for donations.....so feel free to give.  It is a tax write off, you know.....  :-)   Click here to donate to finding a cure for blood cancers!

No comments:

Post a Comment